Percutaneous Laser Disc Removal
New advances in the field of neurospinal surgery and specifically in the field of minimally invasive spine surgery (MISS) has now become the gold standard due to its increase effectiveness, safety and recover time. This procedure is performed under local anesthesia.
The use of lasers in disc surgery has been a breakthrough. For percuatenous laser surgery, the goal is to aid the healing of nerves affected by a degenerated disc under local anesthetic without the need for open surgery by using a laser to vaporize the unwanted parts of that disc causing pressure on the nerves. The procedure is 100% accurate performed with advanced CT imaging guidance.
The main advantages of percutaneous Laser Discectomy over traditional open disc surgery include;
- The procedure is performed as an out patient procedure instead of 6 weeks hospitalization or longer for open surgery.
- Faster almost immediate relief of pain symptoms
- Safer option with Reduced risk of complications due to surgery
- This is a minimally invasive surgery meaning Less soft tissue injury.
- No bone is sacrificed to allow instrumentation to reach the disc as the laser is controlled by imaging without the need for invasive surgery and instruments.
- No epidural fibrosis or scarring of the spinal cord as a result of the surgical procedure.